Monday, October 8, 2012

How to read a book

Go to a library, bookstore, or your own book collection and look through the books. Please do not read any. Just pay attention to what catches your eye.
  • On the side of the book there are different hues of grays and whites.
  • I like seeing observing small details.
Choose a red book and open it to page 6. Close your eyes and put your finger on the page somewhere.
  • I placed my finger on the word "silver" that was located in a movie screen shot.
  • There are infinite straight lines.
Using your other senses, explain what the paper feels like.
  • It is slick.
  • It feel like plastic wrap.
  • I do not feel the ink from the words.
  • Nope!
  • There are textures. If I focus my attention on the paper I can imagine it being mountains.
  • The cover has a lot of history. The scratches, tears, and dents tell a story.
Without destroying the book, unless you own it and want to, see if you can figure out how the book was constructed.
  • It appears to be glued.
  • There is no cloth.
  • Paperback
  • Not to my knowledge.
  • The glue reminds me of elementary school.
Flip through the pages and look at the end papers.
  • Yes, someone write notes and highlight certain sections.
Examine the book more.
  • The cover has a lot of character. The corners are bent. It has dents, scratches, and tears.
Look at the pages of the book.
  • It is a dull white.
  • The book has photos relating to film.
Think about the history of this book.
  • The book has a lot of history. Someone handled it okay.
  • The corner of the pages are bent.
  • I can not imagine what someone else was thinking while reading this book.
  • It is a possibility.
Flip through the pages quickly.
  • It sounds like something small is clapping.
  • I did not feel the breeze.
  • I moved the dust particles with the wind generated with the book.
  • This is a possibility.
Drop the book on the floor.
  • I experienced dropping the book on the floor.
  • I heard the sound it made.
  • Nope!
  • Nope!
Hold the book between your hands with one hand on each cover and the book closed. Close your eyes.
  • The book it cool.
  • It is warm.
  • YUP!
  • My old house gets cold. I read and notice the small details.
Smell the book.
  • Green eggs and ham.
I do not recommend tasting the book for health and safety issues… :-)

Now, finally, read the first page. If it is just pictures, read the story of the pictures. 
  • FILM ART (An Introduction) 9th Edition
  • David Bordwell is an O.G.
Reflect back on this entire exericise.
  • It still love looking at books. I don't read as much as I would like.
  • Nope!
  • Nuffin.
Now think about this class.
  • You made use use and think about the majority of our senses on something that we use almost everyday.
  • Focus
  • You can pull something out of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment